The New Year is a popular time to set resolutions and goals. The start to the year brings a renewed sense of hope and aspiration. People feel inclined to create change and turn future visions into reality.
Goal setting is a powerful process to think about your ideal potential. While I encourage everyone to set big goals for their life, I believe focusing on smaller, more tangible goals will help you be more successful in reaching major life accomplishments. Remember, before you walk – you must crawl, right?
Yoga has helped me in this process. Sometimes I come to the mat setting a personal yoga goal for myself. My goals are very possible to achieve but they require devotion, strength, and awareness. For example, sometimes my practice focuses on being 100 percent tuned into connecting my breath to my movement, only speaking to myself in a positive tone, engaging my core through the duration of the class, or utilizing all four corners of my foot in every single asana.
These small goals lead up to my larger yoga goals and help me practice at my highest potential. With focus, I am capable of achieving my goals to avoid giving up on my bigger aspirations and the feeling of defeat.
Vinyasa yoga is taught by following a series of goal-setting techniques. We teach in “wave” sequences. Each asana is preparing the body for the next and leading up to peak poses. As an instructor, we plan classes this way to make both our students and ourselves as successful as possible in the peak asanas.
As you consider personal, professional, fitness or life goals, I recommend you do the following:
- State your goal in a positive voice.
- Be precise so you can measure your achievement.
- Repeat your goals and create a mantra (short repetitive statement) for yourself.
- Set performance goals so you have as much control over them as possible
- If you achieved your goal too easily, make your next goal harder and vice versa.
- If you learn something that leads to other goals or changing your goals – do so.
- Celebrate your goals and accomplishments both big and small!
Happy goal setting!
- “Opening” by Eef Barzelay
- “Keep Your Head Up” by Andy Grammer
- “Neon Lights” by Natasha Bedingfield
- Mash Up: “Back it Up & A Thousand Miles (Lazyellow – Thousand Swags)” by Cali Swag District & Vanessa Carlton
- “Give it Up to Me” by Shakira
- “C’Mon (Catch ‘em by Surprise)” by Tiësto & Diplo
- Mash Up: “Shut Up and Let me Go & Take Me Out & A Deeper Love” by The Ting Tings & Franz Ferdinand & Aretha Franklin
- “Lights” by Ellie Goulding
- “Life” by Beckah Shae
- Mash Up: “More Than a Feeling & I Got a Feeling” by Boston & Black Eyed Peas
- “Just Say Yes” by Snow Patrol
- “We All Want Love” by Rihanna
- “You Are Here” by Needtobreathe
- “Where Are You Going” by Dave Matthews Band
- “It’s Amazing” by Jem
- “Desire” by Ryan Adams